We know for many households your council tax bill is a big expenditure every year. If you elect a Labour Council for Medway, we pledge to have the lowest council tax in Kent.
The Conservatives have been mismanaging your money, funding vanity projects such as the Battle of Medway fireworks display funded by shutting Sure Start Centres, and spending £130,000 of taxpayers’ money on a “Japanese Garden Roundabout”.
Labour will return Medway Council to the business of protecting the public services that residents value, putting public services ahead of profit.
- End the outsourcing of public services to private sector companies who are failing our residents and communities
- Take back control of these services, starting with Medway Commercial Group (MCG) which has repeatedly failed to deliver for residents on key issues like School Governor Services and CCTV management
- Create a low-cost energy company, following the leading example of Labour-run Nottingham Council who have created a Local Authority-run energy company, ensuring residents get a fair deal on their energy bills and saving households money
- Stop using council taxpayers’ money on the creation and distribution of the Medway Matters magazine, and spend the savings on vital community projects
- End the discriminatory performance-based pay scheme to make Medway Council a good employer
- Using funding from the Rochester Riverside development, Labour will create an Invest to Save fund to help protect the future of council services
- Sign up to the Co-operative Party’s Charter against modern slavery